Rotary’s 4-Way Test is one of the most powerful guides to ethical behavior in existence. Rotarians work with speech and English teachers in local middle schools encouraging student participation in an essay and/or speech contest applying the 4-Way Test to student’s life, experiences and/or society in general.
Contact school and request their participation in your contest. Send announcements to language arts teachers at all area middle schools announcing contest. Include the following information:
- Who is eligible to compete
- Copy of 4-Way Test
- Copy of scoring sheet
- Competition procedures
- Deadlines and dates of competition
- Club winner registration sheet
- 4-Way Test resource information
The timing as to when the contests are to be held in the schools is up to the each club and school district.
B. Winter – Local Rotary Club Contest
- Recommended deadline for receiving essays should be by the middle of February. Before any information is sent to schools, your group must decide who is to be responsible for judging essays at this stage – people appointed by your club or English teachers appointed by someone at the local school. Each Rotary club may submit one essay for competition.
- Awards can include First through Third Place. Trophies and/or certificates.
- Check back next year for information on a District competition.
- It will not be held in 2019.
D. May – District Competition
- Essay: 3 judges will independently score each essay submitted by the local Rotary Club. Rotary Clubs will be notified of the District first, second and third place winners. Clubs are encouraged to invite the essay winners to the District Conference to receive their cash prizes
- Speech: 3 judges
- Creative Media: 3 judges
- Cash Prizes
- Essay – seventh grade students
- Speech – eighth grade students; Finalists to be determined at District Conference
- 1st prize $500 cash prize
- 2nd prize $250 cash prize
- 3rd prize $100 cash prize
Organizing a 4-Way Test Contest
The following outline and sample forms are designed to facilitate implementation of a 4-Way Test Contest in your community’s middle schools. The 4-Way Test Essay Contest is for 7th graders and the 4-Way Test Speech Contest is for 8th graders. The Creative Media Contest is open to all 7th and 8th graders in District 5100 even if a club is not sponsoring a competition in the local schools.
- Download the Following:
4-Way Speech and Essay Contest Guidelines
4-Way Test Creative Media Contest Rules
4-Way Test Creative Media Consent for Release
4-Way Test Speech Contest Scoring Sheet
The link below is a video example from a previous years first place winner.